Friday, January 20, 2012

Evie's Birth

Sweet Evie's pregnancy was much different than Bobby's.  And, she lived up to that difference in the way she came to be!  She was an active little baby in my belly, and her entrance into this world was just as exciting.  Evie's due date was December 2nd.  I was 39 weeks with her the Friday after Thanksgiving.  I did not want to schedule the delivery that day, because I wanted to try and enjoy the holiday, and relax.  Plus, my main reason was because I wanted to wait until the following Wednesday, November 30th.  Bobby was born on April 30th, and I thought it would be neat if they shared the same day of the month.  

But, alas... Evie had plans of her own.  I remember my doctor telling me that I may be pushing it, by scheduling for the 30th, but we went with it anyways.

I had been having pretty strong braxton hicks for a few weeks leading up to her birth.  There were a couple of instances where I thought labor was starting.  Boy, was I wrong!  Those contractions were nothing like what I started having on Monday (the 28th) night.  As Bob and I watched TV that night, they were getting stronger, and closer together.  Around 10pm that night, I told him that he better make arrangements for our neighbors to be on standby, (to come watch Bobby) if we had to leave for the hospital.  I then told him to text his parents.  An hour later, at 11pm, we were still watching TV, when I had one strong contraction... and, then, my water broke!  Coincidently enough, I had just looked online earlier that day about your water breaking. BabyCenter's website said that it only occurs in about 15% of women, when they go into labor.  Of course I'd be in that 15%!  And, it also stated that most of the time it's not like how the movies portray - with water gushing out.  Ummm... again, wrong!  Mine was just like that!

We called our friends, Tim and Courtney, and started getting our things together for the hospital.  I changed quickly, and attempted to put on something decent.  I had showered earlier in the night, and I was a mess with wet hair, and no make-up.  This was not how I wanted to look in the pictures - ha! I spoke to my doctor, and he told us to head on in, and he'd meet us there.  {By the way, I just love my doctor!  Even though he was not on call, if he's in town; he will always come in for the delivery.}

We arrived at the hospital a few minutes before midnight.  I was checked, and had not progressed very much at all.  But, it didn't matter... they were prepping me for my c-section.  I was not allowed to have the epidural until I was on the operating table.  And, I was not given anything for the pain, because of the surgery.  While everything was being prepared, I labored for about an hour.  It hurt.  Bad.  Poor Bob... I think I squeezed his poor hand so hard!  And, I know that laboring for an hour is nothing, compared to some women who give birth naturally.  I commend you!  I could never do it!  An hour of that was enough for me! :)

Finally, around 1:15 am or so, I was wheeled into the O.R.  The epidural was awful, because I had a contraction start, just as it was being administered.  I couldn't move, and had to have three nurses hold me down.  Finally though, I felt numb, and pain-free!

At 1:37 am, sweet, little Evie was born!  She came out crying, and I started to cry.  Bob took the obligatory pictures of her being weighed and washed up.  I couldn't believe all the hair she had, and how dark it was!  (Bobby was born a blondie.)  The hair color did not surprise me though, as I had dreamt just days prior that she would be brunette.  She was handed to me, and I held her for a couple of minutes.  At that moment... it all seemed worth it.

After she was taken back to my room with Bob, the doctor began stitching me back up.  And, of course... I started to get sick, and vomited.  

Overall, the birthing experience between my two kiddos was so different!  Although I had c-sections with both, the drama unfolded with the two in very different ways.  Bobby was born 6 weeks prematurely, but the surgery went well, and was easy.  Evie went full-term, but the surgery, and labor was not a pleasant experience at all.  I also had a harder recovery with Evie, due to a seroma.  Wikipedia defines it as, "A seroma is a pocket of clear serous fluid that sometimes develops in the body after surgery."  The seroma was in my incision.  This literally just healed last week!

Overall, I'd do it all over again for my sweet baby girl.  Although, I hope Miss Evelyn Lee doesn't surprise me too much ahead in life!  This mama can only handle so much! :)

I'm smiling, but in pain!

Already tired, and our night has just begun!

Bob in his monkey suit, ready for surgery!

Off to meet Evie!

There she is, in all her glory!

Her first Spa day... just kidding.

She's probably wishing she was back inside!

Meeting my daughter.

First family picture.

 Wanna read Bobby's birth story?  Click here and here.


jbeatty said...

I love reading birth stories and what a story! Wow. I'm glad all is well. Jennifer you are such a natural beauty... it didn't matter that you had no makeup and a wet head. Congrats to you again!

Jessica said...

I love it!!!! To sweet! Congrats to you and Bob!


Related Posts with Thumbnails